Mittwoch, 26. August 2020

03/2020 Conversations With A Scholastic




Part III

 

Some weeks later when I sat opposite Wren, he was searching through his bag, looking tense and angry again. I watched him apprehensively because I knew there will be another one of those talks we've had... Sure I could simply block it. I don't have to listen to him or respond. I could tell him to leave me alone with his opinions. But on the other hand I always appreciate first hand narratives. I like to listen to people who come from an entirely different cultural background and lead completely different lives.


While listening to them I try to keep an open mind and find my own position later. After all, what you think is one thing, what you tell people about it, another. In my experience the conversations are more interesting because people are more likely to say what they really think via context. But if you go straight to the point with a strong position on your own side people normally close all up and defend themselves and their point of view and it's going to be very hard to extract any valuable information.


I watched him for a bit longer until I asked:

 

I: "What happened? You look angry...?...Again..."

 

Wren: "You don't know the problems I'm having! My head aches from all of it....It's all about money in this world. Just money, money money..."

 

I thought: 'Oh dear, tell me something new, - right? But I  said:

 

I: " So, I guess you don't have enough of it...?"

 

When I looked up and in his face, I saw hatred in his eyes.

 

Wren: "Not enough? Puh!...They are all criminals! All swine! You know what they do to people who come to them with trust...to their shops?..and then they talk them into things and deceive them, they don't care for you as a human..."

 

I: " What are you talking about? What shops?"

 

Wren: "I mean those bleeding [insert a name of any well known mobile phone company]! I've got depts because of them. A lot of money...and I am working and paying them back and they still want more..."

 

I: "But did you talk so much on the phone or surf that much with it?"

 

Wren: "Well, yes, I did. But that's not all of it....I 've got 2 contracts, you know. Got talked into that by them? And the conditions are bad for me...and I can't get out of any of them. They won't let me. They took advantage of my poor German..and my trust."

 

 I looked at him in amazement. Can anybody really be so naive? He continued:

 

Wren: "But it's not only for my sake. It makes me very sad, what they did to the world."

 

I: "Who did what exactly?"

 

He took a longer look at me and leaned back in his chair. Then he exhaled and put his arms on the desk again, as if he made a decision to enter a fight.

 

Wren: "They are doing that everywhere you know? They take advantage of people and lie to them and trick them into things and they squeeze everything out of them. They take all their money and their treasures and their homes."

 

 

He stopped and watched my reaction. I decided to stick to the point and asked:

 

 

I: "WHO are THEY?"

 

Wren: "The Americans...and the British....they are all descendents of criminals, - the Americans I mean...and the British always help them. All these devils who are fooling the people...Also the French and the Spanish.. They all are exploiting people. They've ruined and exploited my country too. Now they are there and everything is bad. They come and say they want to bring us democracy. This democracy thing is just one big cheat. F*** democracy! We never needed that"

 

He took a break again and scowled at me to check if I was getting angry. I wanted to know how serious he was and if he ever really thought it all through...and what his wish or his vision for himself or his country would be, so I asked:


I: "Ok, let's assume 'they' would all leave your country imediately, - just like that, with no further demands, conflicts or anything. What would you like to have for your country?..."

 

He interrupted me.

 

Wren: "They would never leave. Why should they? They like to exploit it."

 

I: "Ok, ok...just for me, to understand your dreams or aims if you like: what would you want to do or have first?"

 

By his expression it was plain that he'd never seriously thought about that. He looked at me and clearly was trying to collect his thoughts.

 

I: "Don't you think you'd need a plan or a concept, a strategy?"


It took him a while until he replied:

 

Wren: "First they should give us back everything they took."

 

I: "What?"

 

Wren: "The oil, the gems, the money."

 

I: "Well, the oil cannot be given back, so I guess you mean they/we should pay retroactive.." He nodded vigorously. "And then what?"

 

No reply. 


I: "What type of government would you like to install? Which language of all that are currently spoken in your country should become the official language? Which legal system would you want to have?"

 

He didn't respond for some minutes, then he said:

 

Wren: "My people are tired from everything they had to endure. They need a break, some rest... (pause)... they need to think and learn...."

 

I: "What do you mean? How?"

 

Wren: "They need to concentrate on The Book and learn from it. Then they should apply what they've learned and live by it."

 

 I: "Just the one book?And that's all?"

 

Wren: "Yes. Everything a person needs to know...everything that mankind ever could know is implemented in The Book. Humans do not need to know every little detail. We cannot understand the world anyway. How has science and Albert Einstein ever really helped people?"

 

I was puzzled. I thought: 'Wow! That really is pure scholasticism.

 

I: "So, that truely is what you would wish for your country and people, - they should live by the rules of The Book? I think you haven't really thought this through, right?"


Wren: "No, I haven't. But still I think this should be the big picture. There are some technical things like language and administration and so on...but on the whole...yes, that would be the best for us."


I: "You do realise that would mean your favourite legal system would be the Sharia?"


He nodded determined, got up and went to the fridge. He knew my opinion towards this...and I knew that he knew. So there was/ is nothing left to say...

 

These conversations speak for themselves. They include all the underlaying subtle and not so subtle conflicts and intrinsic differences.

 

Wren had been living in this country for 10 years when we had this talks. He went to school here, had an apprenticeship, a carer who helped him to sort things out when he was new here, he's got a job...but still: he had a girl friend (or fiancé)  from his own nationality and would never dream of marrying a European (white) woman, according from what he told me, he will raise his to be children in his faith and according to The Book. He controlled his younger siblings who lived a good distance off, if they obediently went to Koran-school on Saturdays and he himself went regularly to his Mosque-community to be in contact with like-minded people (from what he told me other Scholastics). Neither his heart nor his thoughts, hopes, dreams or visions lay in this country but in what he calls "home". So naturally he will not care all that much what happens to this country or its native people, - they are and will remain strangers to him. Furthermore he distinctively does NOT approve of most of our ways and means. He does not really seek friendship with us but wants to be left alone and build a home away from home which resembles his world as good as it gets.

 A perfect example of a parallel world/society in our society. 

 

 

BerylliumN 

 

 


 




 

 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen