Montag, 24. Februar 2020

02/2020 Conversations With A Scholastic/Part II




Part II   Watch out for worms!


About a week later, Wren sat opposite me, leaning back in his chair with a content smile on his face.

Wren: "How are you, B.? Have you had a nice weekend?"

I: "My weekend was quite fine, yes. Thanks. And yours?"

Wren: "I've been clubbing and had fun...so yes, it was good...but one thing I cannot understand..."

He paused. I knew he was waiting for me to ask what 'thing' he couldn't understand. I remembered my last conversation with him about his views and felt a bit reluctant to get into another one...but well...I did what is conventionally expected.

I: "What can't you understand, Wren?"

Wren: "These women...."

I thought 'oh dear'!

Wren: "I mean, - old women...why are they doing that? Why are they dressing as if they were young and hang around in clubs...?"

In my imagination I saw grandmas twirling around on the dancefloor while their elderly friends are sitting at the bar with heavily painted faces, slurping cocktails, dressed up in high-heels.

I: "What do you mean 'old women'?"

Wren: "Don't know...about 50, maybe...?"

While my jaw dropped he went on:

Wren: "I mean, they've had their youth and their lives. Now it's the time for them to stay at home and rock their grandchildren on their knees...so what are they on about?? They mustn't hang out in bars or clubs. It's not nice. It's indecorous...!"

I checked if he was serious...he was. Then I started to laugh heartily. He looked at me in surprise.

I: "So you are saying within the next 2 - 5 years I shouldn't be allowed in a club anymore, or a bar?"

His face went red and he spluttered:

Wren: "Oh! I didn't know you are... er...are you going to clubs or discos?"

I found his aptitude for embarrassing himself rather amusing. He really wasn't much of a brainiac obviously...or was he? Maybe he just didn't give a damn? However, I answered.

I: "Oh no, I never was, never liked it much, you see. But if I would want to go to a club now or whenever I wish, you surely wouldn't forbid me to go, right?"

I looked him straight in the eyes and again I sensed that he will give me the 'correct' answer for the sake of not getting into trouble, - but only for that and not a fathom more. Also I could see that he kind of liked me in a way and didn't want to hurt my feelings, therefore he tried to keep the topic on a non-personal but rather a general level in order to get his point across.

Wren: "You see...why would these women go through all this trouble? Do they, in their age, want to hit on young men?...for shagging??! That's not a thing for respectable grown-up women!"

This was so odd that I couldn't do anything but smile in amazement. He didn't seem to realise what his comments implied on both, - a general and a personal level...so I tried something else.

I: "But Wren, why do you care what these women do? Did one hit on you? Did they offend you in any way?"

He shook his head several times but said nothing.

I: "So why are they bothering you?"

This question needed one or two moments of his consideration before he finally replied.

Wren: "The club doesn't look good anymore. I'm young, I want to see young, pretty girls in there."

I wanted to leave it be, but after some minutes he added.

Wren: "It's not good in the face of God...there's a time for everything, a time for each age where you do certain things, then others. But here it is all mixed up and confused. It shouldn't be like that."

Well, I didn't respond to that and we left this conversation with a hint of affront, resent and anger on my side (again). And because I can't help reflecting on things I thought about it for a while. For me it is astonishing to which degree the course of life in these cultures is irrevocably graded in sections, fixed and linked to unquestionable traditions and restricted by conventions. So called 'normal' people never seem to stand up against those rules...I guess this would be considered as most indecorous... :-) Not only that, it rather seems to be an absolute no-go for every single individual.

I also reflected upon our western attitude, our position, I considered if there could be a tiny something to his point of view... My conclusion was and is that it might not be bad to hear such things from time to time as kind of a counter-weight or a reminder...from a priest or a philosopher, in order to put one's own demeanour into perspective. But the crucial point is that my decision what to do or not to do will then be my own choice. Everyone should choose his/her ways based on free will, with the inherent option for personal insight and consideration. If the way I choose is going to lead to conflict with myself, other people or institutions, then I will have to deal with the consequences. But such things can never be written in law, neither should they be allowed to become unwritten law or a strict 'code of conduct', which might be even worse because the restrictions and no-goes will get engraved in people's minds and do even more harm by going deeper. Then I asked myself: but where is the line between decency and restrictions? We do have protocols and codes of conduct too of course, you wouldn't get served in a restaurant if you showed up in your underwear for instance. So where's the difference? And the fact that I even asked myself this question is part of the problem I quickly realised. Because the difference is that he said "shouldn't be allowed" and that he was only referring to women. Then I got even more angry. How is he doing that? How did he worm his views into my thoughts? Is it because we are brought up with the pretension to question ourselves rather then just follow directives?  

I realised for a second time that I could only accept such a thing by being brain washed....and that I need to watch out for worm-holes... ;-)

BerylliumN


















Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen